How To Make Your Home More Valuable and Sell Faster
Preparing your home for buyers will sell your property faster and for a higher price.
Here are the top things you should do to sell your home quickly and for the highest possible price:
1. Choose a reputable real estate agent
Choose a good estate agent, and let them conduct viewings.
They know from experience what things to say, what to highlight and what to downplay.
The leading real estate agents can advise on the current market conditions in your area, give you a realistic estimate of what your home is worth, as well as advice on what could you do to increase the value of your property.
Real estate agents will also help you negotiate with buyers and get the best possible price for your home.
Just make sure you compare a few different agents before making a decision and ask them about their experience selling homes in your neighborhood.
2. Conduct your own research of the local market
Don’t rely solely on real estate agents’ advice about the local market. Do your own research.
You can use sites like zoopla.co.uk and rightmove.co.uk to see the sale history of certain homes or the average price of homes sold in your area.
When determining the price for your property, keep in mind your home’s condition. If you’ve been putting off some necessary repairs, now is the time to take care of them.
3. Repair and re-paint the walls
Potential buyers will be looking at your house closely and may be put off by any obvious issues. Making sure your house is in good condition will help you get a better price for it.
Here’s what you could do:
- Make any minor repairs – holes in walls, broken door knobs, cracked tiles, torn or threadbare carpets.
- Tidy the garden – cut bushes back, clean the patio and furniture of lichen and dirt, and cut the grass. People visualise themselves using the garden.
- Paint the walls – giving your walls a fresh lick of neutral paint will make your home seem lighter and bigger. Avoid bright or dark colours. This will enable the viewers to more easily imagine how they would adapt the rooms to their needs.
- Change the flooring – old uneven, dirty floors are a bad first impression. If possible, get your floors refinished or replaced before putting your house on the market.
4. Deep clean your home
Clean everything until it sparkles.
Get rid of limescale, clean and repair tile grout, wax wooden floors, get rid of odours, hang up fresh towels.
This will make the place more appealing and allow viewers to imagine living there.
You may even want to hire a professional cleaning company to come in and do a thorough job.
5. Maximise kerb appeal
Kerb appeal is a term used in real estate that refers to the attractiveness of a property and its surroundings when viewed from the street.
- Well-maintained windows
- A roof that appeared in good condition
- A well-maintained front garden
- Well-maintained pathways and fences
Kerb appeal creates a lasting first impression and is thought to add about 10% to your property value.
See how much it costs to do some simple updates to the exterior of your home to enhance its kerb appeal and value.
6. Declutter and stage your home
Declutter but don’t depersonalise your home. It needs to feel like a home. People need to be able to envisage what the property would look like if they were living there.
Get rid of items that have accumulated over the years. Remove any bulky furniture that makes the room feel small and replace it with a smaller one.
People are often buying into a lifestyle as much as a property.
There are a few things you can do to make your home ready for potential buyers.
Real estate agents are great at staging homes, they also have their photographers to take some great pictures of your home, inside and out.
Great photos are one of the most important things you can do to make your listing stand out online. They help to draw in buyers and get them interested in your property, increasing traffic for open houses or viewings.
- Add wall mirrors to some rooms. They make rooms look bigger and lighter.
- Put lamps on in any dark corners
- If you have, light a fire for viewings (especially during winter) – this will make your home feel warm and inviting.
- Dress your windows with curtains or blinds
- Plants and fresh flowers bring colour, life and light to a room and also smell wonderful
- Add a fruit bowl on your kitchen counter
- Light some scented candles or incense to make your home smell nice
Follow these tips above, and you will be well on your way to selling your home fast and the the best price possible 😏.